Thursday 10 October 2013

FLOOD CAUSES HAVOC IN ABA

Flood wreaks havoc in Aba
•Residents lose million of naira property
Following days of torrential rain, coupled with bad roads and lack of drains, flood has ravaged some areas in the city of Aba resulting, in the destruction of goods and property worth several millions of naira. The most affected areas are Ngwa Road axis including East Street, Ehi/Cameroon Roads by Eziukwu, Azuka Extension in Ogbor Hill, Ukwu Mango and some parts of Ariaria market, among others.
The flood, which depth was put at over four feets in some areas, caused serious damage to household property and goods parked in warehouses and shops.   A driver with one of the orthodox churches in the city said the flood destroyed virtually all the household property he had laboured over the years to acquire.
“I went to work on Monday and by the time it started raining by midday; I knew I was in for trouble because of poor network of roads in the area where I am living coupled with lack of drainage system. “My fears became real as I approached my house, I saw my pots of soup floating on the flood water and when I managed to get inside my room, my bed and other household property were floating as well.”
Second hand cloth wholesale dealers along Nkodi Road/ East Street were also counting their losses after the rains as their shops were flooded and goods worth millions of naira damaged. Similar fate befell drug traders at Ariaria market who, like their counterparts at Nkodi Road/East Street, used machines to pump out water from their shops to salvage some of their goods.

0 comments:

Post a Comment